Thursday, October 16, 2008

EnGLiSH ExAM...........(sigh)

i love English. my love for this language is unconditional. another thing i enjoy doing is writing essays and stories. like seriously, who would not enjoy doing it? when you are writing a story, you are actually playing god. you decide what your characters should do next. whatever you want, goes. no one objects you. its great. lately, i have been having some problems writing essays while exam. (can you believe it). i am a very detailed writer. i like to be specific ( not as much as Kim Edwards, though). during exams, i usually picture a character and try my level best to create a plot where the character explores the world and beyond. when i do this at home, it goes great . i write wonderful stories but during exams, i am a goner. last exam, i wrote story which began like " i opened the parcel and i was excited...." . the plot for this story came as quick as lightning to me. the characters were simple and perfect for it. at the starting, i was quite excited because the last essay i wrote for my exam got published in The Star. i guess, i was hoping to impress my teacher with my writing, once again. but after a few lines, i lost my vision. i was stuck in the middle of nowhere. i did not know what to do. i reread the very few lines i wrote and i was disappointed in myself. i felt that the tenses ran. there were grammatical errors. what am i to do? i looked at the time, and i had only 30 minutes to finish it up and hand it to my teacher. i decided to go with the 'vision lost' story. by the time i got to the end, i felt like tearing the 3 page long essay into millions of pieces. i hated it. so, guess, its time for me to go back to the basics. the lesson i learnt. never do anything for the mere sake of impressing someone, do it out-of-love. lesson learnt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha English... the most important thing is you make sure your spelling and you get the language rules correct...

That was my biggest problem in writing, spelling.. Otherwise my essay were fine..

Always try to end your essay in suspends or something very unexpected..

Try not to go for spook and horror... I don't like those. But go for the emotions, try to make the reader cry.

If you can make Pn Poga cry with one of your essays.. you are very good already.
Not all essay must end happily... sad ending can be nice too.

But always end well... make sure the story is complete and whole.

Thats all.
I hate what i have to write now, college papers.. they are boring and are suppose to be boring.
No more stories. hiyo..

K.P. Fern said...

Ara.. you were just striked by the writer's block. It happens all the time. It happens to me a too. So don't worry too much.
A small advice, plan your story from beginning to end...a small draft. Include important lines, words and emotions you want to use. I used to get stuck a lot because of all sort of ideas flying into my head, and this helps a lot. A bit of organization is good.

By the way, Arnan, I made Pn.Poga laugh instead of cry...is that bad?