Monday, March 30, 2009

my love has unveiled.....

reading and writing are the best things in life for me. i do not know whether i am good at these things (do i have to be?) but i have the best of time doing these. i have been writing since i was about 10 (fiction). i only got into reading in secondary school ( J K Rowling's Harry Potter series do not count) after reading Matilda by Roald Dahl. that was the book that got me going.

i have travelled a lot in books. first i walked into the made-up world of Roald Dahl where Giants invaded the streets at midnight and there was a factory too cool to be described. slowly i ran into Kabul where Khaled Hosseini managed to get me hooked with the stunning storyline and plot. then i flew over, to india. Arundhathi Roy, Aravind Adiga, and Jhumpa Lahiri changed my idea of writing totally. the literary works with stunning prose and beautiful words had me dazzled off my feet. then came Malaysia, Preeta Samarasan had me on my knees worshiping her for the stunning debut, Evening is the Whole day. familiar scenes from malaysian life planted into her novel made me laugh like a made fool and cry like a baby. Jodi Picoult slowly transported me to America where i found out literary works can be contemporary.

all these are just a few examples of authors whom i love dearly. there are tens of others whom i did not state here who have influenced my reading style. now, i am hooked on Charles Dickens and Roald Dahl. who will be next? i don't know. i just keep going without a narrowed down list or genre, i discover authors almost every single week. reading these magnificent novels and writings, made me want to create pieces which are just as good. (whether i succeed in doing it or not is a totally different question all it's own).

nowadays, i love writing. short fiction are my favourite, i recently wrote one for MPH competition. writing the story, i realised that i wrote it because i loved doing it. (of course, i only realised it at the end, too late to change anything) creating characters, placing them in difficult situations, stepping into their shoes and seeing it from their point of view. i just loved it a lot. no words can truly describe the love i have for writing.

sure, i might not be the next Khaleed Hosseini or Aravind Adiga, but i will keep on writing. who knows i might actually improve in this craft that i love so much. now, you play the part. i really do need constructive criticism. i don't need people to fake OMG's or WOW. i want you guys to help me point out the flaws in my stories, so that these flaws would not follow up in my upcoming stories. be genuine, if you hated it, just say so. if you liked it, just say so. i want to get better and for that to happen i need people to point out the mistakes i am making. (don't be too harsh, though)

well, thats all i have to say. the choice is in your hands. leaving you to ponder on that, i end this very close to heart post.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I get that feeling too! For me, I love the writing. I always feel so happy reading my own writing again. But the best part for me, is when people read it. :P
All the best for the MPH competition! :)

The Bee said...

yes ara ... continue to
do what you love to do ie writing
and love what you do...
can read in the lines the passion you have for writing
the same i ll say for lisa
dont worry about the winning part of writing competitions
think sponsors like MPH and the like can do more to encourage and prod writers on to greater works of art
shouldnt limit to selected few winners
believe many of the pieces sent in deserve recognition, appreciation, motivation
not necessary in kind
more for the writers
so that they may be inspired to create more works of art right....
congrats ara for creating your very own story!!!
to lisa , may lee and many many others too!!!

Unknown said...

oh... yes i get that feeling all the time... esp. when i am reading.... the feeling of leaving this world is awesome.


by the way it is not 'do'. the word should be "does"